Skip to main content

Les Gravs sont arrivés

Two streaky apples, red over spring green

Gravenstein is August's gem, and it is here. 

It's wonderfully crisp, and so bracingly tart that I saw a vendor at farmers market warn off a customer who expressed a preference for Galas. ¶ 

(Good call by the vendor for for the sweet of tooth, but Grav's tart elements are balanced by sugar, too.)

There were three other varieties for sale today (Wednesday).

Paula Red, a solid early Mac type, and light, crisp Gingergold made their debut last week. (The Gala fan bought some of the latter: good pick.)

There was one other variety present: the iconic McIntosh.

Mid August is too early for this wonderful variety. As someone said recently

So while seeing the King of Autumn (at least in New England) lifts my spirits, I passed on the Mac and splurged on Grav and Gingergold.

Comments

  1. Thank you for the honourable mention! I hate to see everyone pick their apples early. In fact I've made a short video this week on my YouTube (out later today) about what to look for when checking your apples are ripe. I want my own crops to really shine and the only way to do that is picking them when they're ready!
    Your apples look amazing. I'm quite tempted to try and find a Gravenstein and see how it grows here. I'm always on the look out for the earliest apples as I seem to crave those most. that and the latest keeper - I often get them to store until June and have beauty of Bath the end of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commercial farmers, of course, are under real economic pressure to get their fruit safely off the trees and away from bugs, hail, and other adversaries. But I celebrate tree-ripened fruit at peak.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.