Skip to main content

Melba

A stylized drawing of a red apple

No photo today! I thought I'd taken Melba's portrait, so I went ahead and ate my samples to write up my review. ¶ 

Too late, I discovered I hadn't gotten the shot after all. ¶ 

Sorry! In lieu of that, sit back and picture the following:

The colors of this apple are delicate, almost pastel, a muted, brownish red over yellow green.  My Melbas are classically shaped with little perceptible ribbing.  Biting in, the flesh is yielding, white, and medium-grained. The flavor balance tilts towards tart, and the peel is chewy enough to persist after the flesh melts away.

There are some lime notes, and perhaps a hint of blueberries and banana, but the overwhelming impression is tart.

Melba strikes me as more of a culinary than desert type, but mine may not have been at peak.

The National Fruit Collection (UK) has photos, though my samples were not nearly that pretty.

It's another open-pollinated McIntosh from William Macoun.

Today's stylized image of an apple is courtesy of tugdeyildirim1, who shared the apple on Pixabay.

Comments