Skip to main content

Legace

Today's striking apple, somewhere between medium and large, has a blush that ranges from deep to streaky over yellow. ¶ 

A shapley red apple with small light spots hangs from a branch

Classically shaped and lightly ribbed, Legace wears many small light lenticel dots in its scarlet coat. ¶ 

I'm not sure why, but the color of this apple in my photo is less vibrant and saturated than in person.

That might be due to lighting or perhaps the existence of a bit of a bloom that has rubbed off my tasting sample. I am quite sure I have the right apple, however.

Biting Legace reveals light yellow flesh, coarse, crisp but slightly tender, and juicy. It is sweet but tart-forward, which makes it spicy, and there are also floral and lemony notes. Maybe some generic berries in the mix too.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn this was part of the McIntosh family, but we'll see.

Legace is refreshing and fun to eat. In particular, the flavors hang together well.

I suppose it says something about me and my tastes that I would pick an apple like this over the various shades of Fuji-Honeycrisp (that are so popular nowadays) almost any day.

Maine line

According to Out on a Limb, Legace is a chance seedling that originated in Aroostook County, Maine, more than 100 years ago. 

"This is not a sweet apple," according to the website, "but the subacid flavor is very pleasing."

That squares with my experience.

Comments