Skip to main content

I break for 🍎

A sign that reads "Woodstock Orchards" and a red, white, and blue flag that reads "Open"

One of many pleasures of exploring an unfamiliar area on two wheels is the discovery of apples.

But are there apples to be had, so early in the season?

A sign mounted on a wall that reads "Woodstock Orchards" and the notes "Ausgust–may 9 a.m. – 6 p.m." and "Apples: Early Sept – Mid October"

"Well, we do have some Paula Reds."

Woodstock Orchards, in Woodstock, Connecticut, grows some 20 varieties, and was able to feed my hunger for something fresh and local. 

I broke a rode trip with a bike ride there earlier today. Then I broke the bike ride for apples.

Paula is perhaps the best of the early Mac-type apples.

A green apple with a partial red blush and prominent tan lenticel dots

I did not get very far before I was compelled to eat this one.

Comments

  1. So many summer apples. Yellow Transparent, Lodi, William's Pride, 12 Gravenstein strains, Aunt Rachel, Pendragon, Zestar!, Ellison's Orange, Summerred.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.