Skip to main content

Alexander

If you love a tart apple, have I got a deal for you. ¶ 

A ribbed russet apple with a red spot of blush and white dots in the sun

The light pea-green peel of this huge ribbed apple peers out from a partial screen of warm brown russet. ¶ 

But my eye is drawn to the small but dramatic patch of red blush, where the tiny white lenticel dots are most prominent (but if you look closely, they are everywhere.)

My Alexander is twelve inches around, quite the largest russet apple I have ever seen. He has an almost square shape when viewed from above, and the grassy aroma common to russets.

Note: Many online accounts of this apple describe a very different fruit. So, this may be utterly wrong!

But I only consult the internet after I've written my own impressions. So let's continue with those, and then I will tell you what others say.

Let's taste

Biting in finds crisp light-yellow flesh, coarse, firm, and juicy. The difficulty of biting into such a big apple with firm flesh is rewarded as the fruit calves off in great juicy chunks.

The juice is acid-forward and spicy, a little lemony.

Just as over-the-top sweetness can mask any underlying flavors, the strong tart acidity of this apple obscures what I think are some berry and caramel flavors.

This is a bit harsh, but at no point is this unpleasant to eat. Alexander has a decent amount of sugar and is by no means a "spitter." Yet I doubt it would be a hit with the Honeycrisp crowd.

Even for the sweet-toothed, however, Alexander might add both crunch and panache to a tasting medley. I find it refreshing.

Apples like this sometimes mellow and develop their best flavors after a few months in storage. I wish I had another that I could hold until November or December.

Unfortunately, Alexander was a one-week wonder at farmers market. I'll have to wait for another year.

Alexander?

At the very least, the russeted appearance of this apple is not typical. Other accounts describe a basic red-blushed apple.

Most seem to agree that Alexander originated in Ukraine and is a parent of Wolf River. Many describe it as culinary apple.

Beyond that, account vary.

Salt Spring says Alexander has soft flesh and seems to almost apologize for its old-fashioned qualities.

New England Apples (and others) says it was once called Aporta before being renamed for the Czar Alexander. Also that the apple "does not store particularly well" (so much for that idea).

Out on a Limb at least partially agrees with me, saying Alexander it is "quite good for tart fresh eating."

The National Fruit Collection (UK) says Alexanders "have firm, rather coarse, dry, acid flesh with very little flavour."

Of these accounts, only the "soft flesh" and "dry and flavorless" claims really run counter to my experience. It is the difference in appearance that gives me pause.

I probably do have the right apple, perhaps picked on the early side for extra tartness.

Comments

  1. Looks like Belle de Boskoop to me, and the description is consistent with my experience with that variety. Your review of Boskoop displays an apple inconsistent with my experience in both appearance and qualities. The trueness of my Boskoop have been confirmed by my Dutch/German/Swiss customers. I have not experienced Alexander to my recollection, so cannot go at it from the other direction. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. There is obviously reason to question this one, and this grower has been known to make wrong calls. Also this roughly matches some Belle de Bosk descriptions online, though not (as you note) mine. PS I hope this isn't prying, but are you Dave D'Angelo?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.