Skip to main content

Rolfe

A broad apple with a warm red blush that includes some saturated stripes

These large, moderately ribbed apples have a satiny red blush over the usual green yellow, accented by tiny light dots. On closer inspection, the blush is a bit streaky and not everywhere saturated. ¶ 

There is a very light bloom on these, so faint I almost missed it. Once that is washed off, the apple is glossy. ¶ 

Both my samples have small, stubby stems nestled into their wells. A wide calyx allows me to peer into the bottom of the apple.

One apple has a small patch of flyspeck. Considering that these are organic apples, their nearly flawless appearance is remarkable.

Texture and taste

Rolfe's bite is nice and clean, breaking into great crunchy chunks. The flesh is medium-grained, off-white, and juicy, with a mix of tart-forward spice and an echo of banana.

I am glad I got two of these because my first sample was nowhere near as good! The flesh was softer, and slightly watercored, and the flavors were faint and less distinct.

(In my notes on that one I wrote, "personally I would have liked a firmer, or at least crunchier, apple." Got my wish!)

There is a faint trailing bitter note, not from the peel. I can't decide if I like it (interesting accent!) or if it's too much.

Heritage and history

The venerable Apples of New York (v2, 188–9) locates the origin of this apple in Guilford, Maine around 1820 and describes it as "briskly subacid." 

The Pine Tree State's Out on a Limb tells us it is a seedling of Blue Pearmain and provides other charming details.

Comments

  1. I decided to add a different offspring of Blue Pearmain to my collection this year over Rolfe, but after reading your description of the flavor, I am inclined to amend that decision in the new grafting season. It sounds like a good fit for my taste.

    As always, I appreciate your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joel! That is quite the complement. Perhaps I should have noted that Rolfe is not very Blue Pearmain–esque: it's not dense like that.

      But it's pretty good in its own right, I hope it works out for you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.