Tuesday, January 1, 2019

To my readers on the new year, 2019

With this, my tenth new year's message, I send my very best wishes for the year to come.

I cannot, however, help but share a troubling statistic with you. This year I only found three apples to add to my opinionated catalog.

Apple Reviews by Year 2008–18

Graph showing number of reviews published in Adam's Apples declining from a high of 41 the first year to 3 in 2018.
Year published refers to the year of the canonical review, which in a few cases is later than an earlier review of the same variety; such earlier reviews are not included.

I find it hard to imagine what this blog would be without new apples to sample and share.

My running commentary notwithstanding, the reviews have always been the heart of this blog, both as conceived in the late spring of 2008 and as executed every month thereafter.

In my blog's first year, apple reviews comprised more than half of my posts.
I always knew it would get harder over time to find varieties new to me. At first, the number of reviews fell every year.

But starting in 2012, with some variations, the trend started to level off, at around 20 per year.

New-to-me varieties at farmers markets and orchards, new varieties in the supermarkets, travel apples, and the occasional gifts of apples from readers, sustained me each year.

But this year I did not get out, or reach out, or luck out as much.The turning of the year is a hopeful time, and you can infer at least one of my hopes for 2019.

Very best to you and yours.
Adam

6 comments:

  1. Adam, any chance you could get to breeding and research stations? Your status as long-time dedicated amateur might get you in. Or perhaps you might travel? Salt Spring Island Apple Co would be my first request-:365 apple varieties!!!
    Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, travel has been an important source of these "new" apples.

      Delete
  2. I rarely see Prairie Magic mentioned anywhere. I have one tree not bearing yet. Bought through Jung seed. Not sure if it and Prairie Spy are the same apple. Don't see either on the list. Might be two to seek....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I've been thoroughly enjoying this blog for about a year now. Just letting you know that I sent you an email, the one listed on your profile, a couple of weeks ago.

    Don't know if you still use that one or not, but I may be able to help you with some new apples this year.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.