Monday, October 10, 2022

Haralson redux

Red-streaked apple with large tan dots

Hail Haralson, elder god in the pantheon of Midwest apples!

I first reviewed Haralson in 2016, but a few fresh samples have come my way.

The blush of these well-formed, slightly oblate apples is a shade more saturated than that of my earlier samples. 

The blush is still streaky red, over a warm spring green. There are some crackles of russet.

The lenticels are large and prominent, and these apples are very slightly ribbed.

Bracing

Crisp, fine-grained Haralson is on the tart side, but with enough sweetness to fall well within the good-to-eat zone. 

It is acid-forward, but there is also a flash of pear and roasted grain. The taste of unripe table grapes that I noted in 2016 is also present.

Haralson's finish leaves a pleasant astringent quality.

I do not know anyone who grows these around here. Mine came from Wisconsin.

My 2016 review is more detailed, but squares with this one.

1 comment:

  1. Sweetser’s orchard in Cumberland Maine has Haralson.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.