Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Comment of the Day

An apple with a mottled blush, from flame to deep ruby
Sweet Liberty

I love my readers, and treasure all your comments. Hearing from you pays me back for all the work I put into this blog.

This note today, from a reader who signs his or her comments "The Fluffy Bunny," is epic. Writing of Liberty (shown),

While apple aficionados might guess this apple is a member of the Snow/McIntosh clan, if you asked them to guess its familia association I doubt it would even be on their radar until you mentioned it. For one, the strong vinous flavor of McIntosh and Macoun is far more muted to nonexistent in Liberty.

The flesh is coarser and has more body to it; you actually chew Liberty as opposed to that dissolves in your mouth, quality prominent in a McIntosh and to a lesser extent Macoun. And there is a subtle depth to Liberty that is lacking in McIntosh but conversely not as pronounced as in Macoun.

....

On the whole this is a great apple. For those growing their own apples, and borrowing a phrase from my dear friend Ed Fackler, I would say Liberty is the closest thing I have found to an idiot proof apple....

Go read the whole thing. And, thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.