Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Stars for a Star-Crossed Year

fragments of shattered glass explode against a dark background, like a field of stars

Today is the day I rate apples I've sampled (or resampled or reconsidered) from the previous year.

My ratings are qualitative, from one to three stars. These judgments reflect my tastes primarily, though sometimes other considerations come into play.

As for the year itself: no stars at all.

The year in apples was sparse: nine "new" (to me) varieties and some second bites. But of these, eight earned stars.

This is partially because of the quality of some of the new varieties from the Midwest Apple Improvement Association that I tasted in early 2020.

Worth Choosing

I award one star to Firecracker, a recent release from the venerable fruit-breeding program at Cornell. The cracker has an excellent crunch and an interesting flavor set.

At the other end of the timeline, a star to Flower of Kent. This variety is probably the same that gave us the theory of gravity (with Isaac Newton as intermediary) in 1665.

A star each, also, to pleasing Pixie Crunch, and to five apples from the Midwest folks:

I'm generous with my one-star ratings and forgiving of what I see as flaws. Most apples are "worth choosing."

But it is harder to earn more stars from me.

Worth Seeking

two starsFor trivial reasons, my review of Pineapple Crunch languished in my "to do" pile for four and a half years before I published it last spring. No matter. This is a great, if unknown, apple. Two stars.

There are no changes at all this year to the three-star roster ("worth a quest").

Also Ran

Newcomer Pink Luster failed to impress me. And despite some good reviews from others with good taste, the apple now known as Autumn Crisp did not earn any stars from me on retaste. (Maybe next time.)

Apples with no stars are nonetheless often quite good. Also I sometimes get it wrong (and who died and made me King of the Pippins, anyway?).

So I encourage you to use my ratings to expand, not shrink, your own exploration of the pomacious fruit. 

If you find yourself face to face with an unfamiliar apple this year, bite it and let us know what happens.

5 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed your blog for years and appreciate this update. Still waiting for Gold Rush to get bumped to three stars---my vote for the best new apple of the last few decades. Maybe for its 30th anniversary in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anon, a strong case can be made based on GR's phenomenal keeping qualities.

      But see @Unknown's comment about 3 stars below!

      Delete
  2. Hi Adam - Very interesting. I like the fact that you're highly selective with your three-star ratings, it shows admirable restraint and good taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam - Great blog, but if I'm not mistaking, it's been over 10 years since the last 3 star rating. You need to try a trailman crabapple at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.