Skip to main content

Lobo vs. McIntosh Smackdown

Two red-blushed green-yellow apples

Left to right: Lobo, the larger and squatter, and its mother, McIntosh. ¶ 

(The camera angle hides a significant size difference.) ¶ 

My Mac's blush is a little darker and less orange, but both have the same streaky character over similar yellow green.

Mac is more classically shaped and ribbed. Lobo's lenticels are more prominent.

Bite 'em

Tasting Lobo first, for untainted impressions.

Lobo eats a lot like a Mac. It's crisp, fine grained, and well balanced. There are berries and spice in the mix. The flesh is white and fine.

OK, lets reality check this with mama McIntosh. Might some prefer the offspring? Might Lobo be sweeter?

My Mac is similar, but with richer and better flavors overall. The vinous quality is particularly distinctive.

In early September, though, Lobo has the superior texture. I bought my McIntosh on September 6, which is within the zone, but yet at peak. 

This Mac's flesh has a green tinge and the crunch from this batch is not as good as Lobo's. It's not a huge difference, though.

Despite that, my McIntosh is the juicier of the two.

The verdict

These are both good, but did I really suppose that Lobo would beat the Mac? I can't even say that Lobo is sweeter that McIntosh; if anything, the reverse.

Taste is ultimately a very personal thing, but, for me, Mac is still the King of Autumn.

Who should be riding high this week.

Honor role

Comments