Friday, July 22, 2022

First!

A bin of green apples with a sign that reads "Lodi"

After last week's false sighting, I was pleased to see these, the first of the year, at farmers market on Wednesday.

To be honest, I was prepared to be disappointed. Lodi is only distinguished by it's place at the start of the harvest season. 

It's not a favorite of mine, and five years ago I downgraded my rating for this variety

Two green apples

These were not bad at all!  After a spring and summer of supermarket apples, the tart flavors of a local apple were music to my mouth.


3 comments:

  1. It seems to be an early year here in Northern California. I've had some lackluster July Reds, some early drops of William's Pride that are pretty good and one of my own William's Pride x Vixen crosses I named Twang, again, early drops though. What I've had that is actually quite good is Centennial. It's the first time I've gotten them to fruition. Worth trying if you can find them. I think I can taste the relation to chestnut crab. It is not a common variety. Probably less common that the other most commonly favored crabs, wickson, chestnut and trailman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what might crop up here. Best wishes for the season!

      Delete
  2. Hooray for apples!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.