Wednesday, January 12, 2022

EverCrisp redux

an oblate red apple freckled by large tan dots

I've recently enjoyed chomping my way through a box of new apple varieties under development by the Midwest Apple Improvement Association.

Little did I know that the assortment included a ringer. Number 544 was really EverCrisp.

This is the apple association's greatest hit (so far), a keeper apple to rival Honeycrisp. (I think it is the better of the two).

The other new varieties may never reach the public, but EverCrisp is already a hit.

The best EverCrisp

This was the best EverCrisp I have ever had, with a tangerine flavor note I had not enjoyed in previous samples.

Here are my notes from that tasting in late November.

Biting in unleashes a great chunky crunch, with juicy light yellow flesh.

544 is well balanced and brings flavors that include corn syrup with floral and spicy inflections, and a hint of tangerine. The effect is lively and easy to eat.

This one goes for crunch in a big way, but also has flavor. Yet it does not in any way go out on a limb to a place that (I imagine) some might not like. 

It is a logical extension of modern trends that (I hope) are sneaking taste back into the orthodoxy of crispy crunch.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Except for the tangerine note, this tracks closely my original EverCrisp review.

Notice how, in the blind tasting, I praise the apple specifically for taste. It's distinctly better on that score than Honeycrisp.

I'm making a separate post about it because my only serious criticism of EverCrisp had been its apparent lack of distinctive flavor. 

Not an issue, if you can get a good one like I did.

According to David Doud of the apple association, my sample grew in northeast Ohio.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.