Sunday, October 20, 2013

Watsonville pippin

This large spring-green apple, very ribbed, sometimes squat, lacks a name, a number, or even a pedigree, according to the grower.

A few of these sport a mottled persimmon blush, as in my photographed sample. The green is a bit lighter than that of a Granny Smith.

Sweetness predominates in the dense white flesh of this apple, with hints of lemonade, table grapes, and flowers. The flesh oxides almost instantly where torn.

This pippin offers delicate flavors and a firm satisfying chew, without being hard.

Every apple has a story, however short, but the man from Live Earth Farm at the farmers market in Santa Cruz did not know this one, except to say this was a pippin, a found variety.

I taste all apples great and small. Finding an unnamed pippin like this, if you want to try it, presents some obvious difficulties. Even if the apple grows at other farms, which is questionable, it is going to be hard to identify.

If you want to try this apple you will have to go to the farm in Watsonville California, or a nearby farmers market, sometime around the end of September.

6 comments:

  1. Looks similar to a Newtown Pippin, though I'm not sure if that variety gets a red blush from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, come to think of it, the physical resemblance is spot on.

      Still, I was surprised to find that Newtown Pippin is well known in the Bay Area, under its full name.

      Also, the flavor is very different, unless that is just the result of different growing conditions.

      Delete
  2. I would describe that as sunburn rather than a blush.
    This apple could be any of a number of varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to comment here because I saw it shortly after I had read an old NY Times article - "It's Crunch Time for the Venerable Pippin", NOV. 5, 2003. That article says that the Newtown Pippin was taken to Watsonville, CA in the 1850's. Perhaps it is indeed a Newtown Pippin, or at least a sport of one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I think this is credible, if not certain. I am surprised the possibility did not occur to me when I tried this one in 2013.

      See Nathan's comment above for more. (And, here is Newtown.)

      Delete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.