Tuesday, October 1, 2013

NY 61345-2 *

Whenever I sample one of these unknown offerings, too obscure to even merit a name, I feel as though I am sitting down with the grower who planted (or grafted) the tree.

This interested me, the farmer seems to say. What do you think?

On the smaller side of large, this apple is oblate but also conical, blushed dull red over green yellow. Large light lenticels show against the blush, and at the top of the fruit these are stretched into ovals and stubby lines.

NY 61345-2 (O what shall I call thee) feels firm when I squeeze; its calyx is akimbo.

The apple's flesh is fine-grained white tinged lightly yellow with green highlights. It looks like that of many McIntosh-type apples, and shares that family's satisfyingly crisp crunch and many of its vinous berry flavors.

The apple is also a little peppery and, quite separate from that, faintly exhibits something a bit savory partway into the chew.

The grower's written remarks mentioned cider, so I was expecting something more tart or tannic. However this is quite well balanced, and I realize in retrospect that the farmer probably meant sweet cider. These tastes would be very good in a glass of that.

This is quite a nice addition to the family, and ought to please anyone who does not demand heaps of sugar in their fruit.


NY 61345-2 is a product of Cornell University's breeding program (with plenty of McIntosh in the genomic background). But in 1995 Cornell put a stopper on the apple's budding career, declaring it "no longer recommended for trial because of inferior fruit quality."


No name for you, NY 6135-2, but we can still enjoy eating you anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to hear your thoughts on Winecrisp if you can find some in your area. We just planted some this year and because of the mild winter, we actually picked a handful. Pretty sweet but with a nice tart bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan, I hope I don't miss Winecrisp this year, but am on the West Coat this week & who knows when or even if it is around back in New England.

      (However, California is no slouch pomologically! and I've made a few discoveries on my trip to the Bay Area, stay tuned.)

      Delete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.