Friday, October 21, 2016

Bonnie Best *

Another Midwest variety! Grown in the Midwest. More on that anon.

This very large globe of an apple has only the suggestion of ribs.

The green-tinted yellow peel peers through a streaky red blush; the view from the top seems to resolve into thousands of fine lines radiated from the stem well:

The view form the top seems to resolve into thousands of fine lines radiating from the stem well.
Bonnie from above.

There’s a satin semi-gloss shine on the peel, and the calyx is open.

Tiny light lenticels are only visible in the most-saturated regions and even there are not obvious. The apple smells sweet and a little grassy.

Bonnie Best has flesh that is a tender, medium-grained creay yellow, with a peel that is is persistent and chewy. She is not a hard or breakingly crisp apple, and may be just a little past peak.

The taste is well-balanced with a kind of non-citrusy tang I recognize from Haralson, though the two cultivars are probably not related.

Bonnie is more tart than otherwise, but there's nothing to curl your teeth. She is just a little bit floral and has a tentative start towards some vanilla, which adds softness.

However it is the tanginess, with a savory echo, that is the most interesting thing about this apple. I said not citrus, but the tang is a little like chamomile (pineapple's first cousin) at points. The finish is pleasant and refreshing.

Bonnie oxidizes quickly. Other web sites rate this as tops for baking and sauce. Which I can believe completely.

This apple is named for Bonnie Keehn, who discovered this variety in Cooksville, Wisconsin, in the mid 20th century.

Bonnie and several other varieties came my way this month courtesy of Lisa Boes, a former resident of my town who moved to Minnesota and who still visits back east. Lisa likes apples too.

Not only did she give me access to Bonnie Best, a rarity at best in these parts, but the fruits in question came from their native soil and clime. Not to exaggerate, but this can make a significant difference sometimes.

The kindness of fellow apple geeks is becoming a significant source of fodder for this blog, and I appreciate it very much.


13 comments:

  1. Next time I see Lisa, I'll thank her for passing these apples on to you. Did the Ruby Jon come from her, or was that from your orchard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gretchen, yes, she provided the Ruby Jons.

    Do you find that they have any important differences versus Jonathan, other than color? (Someone who commented on that post thought they did.)

    Kudos to you and to Sweetland orchard for growing these great varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was my comment on the Ruby Jons so yes -- I feel it's a substantially different apple than Jonathan. The trees seem to grow differently too, with the Jonathan in our orchard ultimately succumbing to our climate while the Ruby Jons are thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What time of year are the Bonnie Best coming in to riping? My brother inlaw lost his orchard map and is not sure of the varties. Some I can figure out like Yellow Transparent, Honey Gold and Cortland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fellow apple geeks, we are starting a heirloom orchard at UW Wisconsin and I hope to collect all remaining WI varieties that are left. Let me know if you have rare varieties and which I should look for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcel, this is a noble undertaking. If you'd like to contact me (email on profile page), I'd like to know more and maybe write about it.

      Delete
    2. I have a farm ten minutes from reedsburg that has over 40 apple trees Its an old dairy farmstead that I bought in 2018 that was homesteaded over 100 years ago. If you are interested in viewing the trees or apples let me know. I walked last year with Curt Meine and picked some samples he was going to give to Dan Bussey--an apple guy--I would like to try to create some new trees from some of the old trees which are getting really decrepit from lack of care over the years--also I do have a bonnies best tree in my yard I would like to propagate--I don't know how to do that yet--just beginning to think about learning.

      JBH

      Delete
    3. Looks like this story describes Marcel's noble project

      Delete
  6. Hello I stumbled upon this delightful Apple info spot,very grateful!
    Y'all are legit.
    Deeply desire to aquire some Bonnie's Best semi dwarf trees.. Jung Co. is out of stock.
    HELP PLEASE?!! Does anyone know where I can buy 1-6 of these amazing apple trees NOW? May 3rd 2021
    Really appreciate any direction on this as Jung customer service says none until Jan 2022 :((
    THANKS, Heidi Esteb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should call Summmit Tree Sales at 800-424-2765 - & they'll know who's growing them.

      Delete
  7. Hello, Fellow Apple Lovers,
    We just made 8 pints of applesauce from our Bonnie Best harvest. Awesome applesauce! Good fresh, too!
    I am also interested in knowing whether or not Wolf River is a good polinator for Bonnie Best (and visa versa). Our Wolf River is only a couple of years old, and has not yet blossomed, so we're curious. At one time Jung's had a catalogue entry that indicated Wolf River as a polinator for Bonnie Best, but I have no evidence yet.
    Cheers,
    Boris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have these available?

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.