Skip to main content

Little boxes

A wooden crate filled with apples ov varigated hue: mustard, olive, red, green. A tag reads "Ashmead's Kernel."

This time of year features an endless series of crates and boxes (wooden or otherwise) and sometimes baskets and even plastic bags, all filled with fresh produce. ¶ 

This week was probably the last chance to stock up on Ashmead's Kernel. These keep reasonably well and I am well provisioned. ¶ 

Dr Ashmead's fabulous apple has been abundant this year. According to David Wadleigh, who bought Kimball Fruit Farm in 2022, the previous owner grafted lots of Ashmead onto existing McIntosh trees. That strategy is, um, bearing fruit.

There still seem to be plenty of Macs for sale, too.

Cardboard boxes filled with apples, set out on tables and bearing descriptive tags
Nicewicz Family Farm in Arlington on October 22

For this week's roster of apple choices, I write the names of some apples multiple times to show how many of our three apple vendors were selling them.

For instance, only one farmer brought any Honeycrisp. That's right, that apple is past its peak, but if you miss it give Jonagold (from either of two orchards) a bite.

The roster this week comes to 25 varieties. That's one less than last week, but there are some different apples in the mix.

It's a parade, grab something good as it marches by.

I also made it to Lexington's market this week, where I found some of the same choices plus Gingergold and Paula Red.

Green plastic bins filled with different apples, each tagged with the name of its fruit.
Some choices at the Lexington, Massachusetts, farmers market on October 21.

However those varieties, fine as they are in August and early September, are really pretty tired in mid-October.

Wood crates on folding tables under the sky, each tagged and filled with different apples.
Kimball Fruit Farm's humble offerings in Arlington on October 22.

But marvel with me at all those boxes, bins, crates, bags! Filled with fruit and carefully labeled.

Well, most of them carefully:

A wooden box filled with red-green bicolored apples and a hand-lettered sign that reads "Our own fresh-picked Broccoli Rabe, $4/bunch"
Brock, not Broccoli (Dick's Family Market in Arlington on October 22).

Gather ye apples while ye may, ye all.

Comments

  1. I visited our local-est apple farm yesterday and was able to try my first ripe Macoun(s). I'm sure they weren't peak because they were windfalls, but there was only one still on the tree and I saved it for my husband. I also sampled a very rusted and misshapen Haralson from a small tree that wasn't truly producing yet, and was surprised by it's spongy flesh, though the flavor was still very good. I'm no taster, so I couldn't tell you what I tasted in either. The Macoun was delicious and much sweeter than I expected based on how well you like it, much sweeter than a Mac, though the vinous quality was definitely there. Maybe that comes from growing in a warmer region (Eastern Washington, zone 6b).

    I also harvested about fifty pounds of peak Empires from the tops of the trees, while my children gathered windfalls for sauce from the ground. We discovered that the apples growing nearest the ground were watercored, but not the ones at the top. Empire is my favorite of the apples I can get from this orchard (Jonamac is another, but the trees were getting pretty empty), and I'm looking forward to getting to eat them for the next few weeks. I learned the hard way last year that they get chill damage in my chest freezer we've modified to be a fridge, so I'm just going to keep them in the cellar and use them up, as well as dry a bunch.

    I haven't discovered the local heirloom orchards that I know exist here. I'm a bit jealous of your Ashmead's kernels, but still hoping to try one someday. Happy apple hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting observation about watercore and altitude. it makes sense, since the sap has that much farther to go, but I had never made the connection before.

      Delete
  2. That's quite an amazing selection of apples. We are just wrapping up apple harvest at my location in the Northern Plains, where we are grateful for Minnesota's apple program, as it gives us a good lineup of cold-hardy options that have good flavor, survive our winters, and don't exhibit excessive drop in the high winds we often experience in the prairies. I'd love to grow the Macoun - it's supposed to be hardy to -30F and should theoretically survive winters at my location - but have not, given its poor fruit adherence and propensity to drop (as noted by the previous commenter). Alas, that variety is best suited for less windy locations. I look forward to sampling it again the next time I have the opportunity it travel to New York or New England in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is remarkable how every place has its own apples. What an adaptable fruit!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.