Skip to main content

Discovery

I found these medium-sized apples with a blush of pure red at a farm store on the Fife coast. ¶ 

A squat apple with a warm red blush sits in green grass.

Discovery is practically unribbed and bears many light lenticels so small as to be difficult to see in poor light, both in the blush and in the yellow part of the peal. ¶ 

My examples come in assorted shapes, one squat and oblate, another more conical. They both wear crowns of russet around the stem well.

In hand, these have a little give, and bear a delightfully sweet-cider aroma. That sounds exciting but signals possible disappointment: apples that have been off the tree, unrefrigerated, for too long.

Let's eat them and see.

Discovering Discovery

One sample has a surprise: regions of light pink in the light yellow flesh. That flesh is soft, and (I think) medium-grained, though it can be hard for me to get a bead on texture with past-prime samples.

Which this is, as feared. But it's still munchable, if not exactly crunchable: it is yielding, not mealy.

Discovery's flavors are melded, but sweet with a balancing tart and featuring a distinct strawberry note that is very pleasing. The peal is chewy.

All in all, a surprising performance from an apple that is past peak. I wonder if I will ever score a better sample to try. I hope so.

I tasted three of these. That strawberry flavor was, respectively, clear, muddled, and absent.

Discovery is an open-pollinated Worcester Pearmain, according to other sources including the UK's own Orange Pippin.

Indeed the Pip's description, which is based on fresher samples and is in many ways more complete (so read it!) corroborates mine on the main points.

These are:
  • strawberry flavor, sometimes ("Worcester Pearmain is probably the source of the strawberry flavour")
  • pink color ("the red skin colour can occasionally bleed slightly into the flesh") and
  • off-the-tree too long ("quite widely available in the UK in late August and early September," though later in Scotland, I'd suppose).

Comments

  1. We have a Discovery growing in a garden where I work in South Wales, UK and every august I look forward to tasting those first beautiful scarlet apples of the year. Fresh off the tree they are delicious, juicy and sweet with a hind of strawberry and an aroma of rose water and If the weather is warm and sunny the normally white flesh is stained pink well into body. Sadly however they lose their flavour within a few days once picked and so for three to four weeks at most can I savour the delights of a freshly picked Discovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that description! Which supplements what I was able to eke out from samples that were not at their very best.

      Delete
  2. Parentage has been confirmed with DNA profiling as Worcester Pearmain and Beauty of Bath. There is a very complete description on FruitID.com https://fruitid.com/#view/546

    ReplyDelete
  3. UK here, I have tasted Discovery in September off the tree, along with Worcester Pearmain. Agree on the taste but I do find Discovery goes mealy fairly quickly sadly.

    Stephen Hayes who posted youtube videos from his orchard years ago talked highly about Devonshire Quarrenden, Baker's Delicious and Laxton's Epicure and out of the early apples he prefers those over Discovery. None of the earlies keep very long but there are some that keep long enough to be manageable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.