|
|
| Pixie Crunch from 2020. Color and lenticel dots match. |
The glossy yellow-green peal is mostly covered by a warm red blush, streaky in places. Small lenticel dots present in the blush as tiny tan dots. In the unblushed they are more obvious, larger, and green.
Pixie taste
There is a tiny countervailing tart access that gives this sweet apple its character.
I got my Pixie, so labeled, at a farmers market in Edinburgh. The flavors are a bit different from other Pixie Crunch I've had, if that is what it is.
There is also a Pixie that is not Pixie Crunch, but mine really does not match the descriptions of that Pixie at either Pomiferous or Orange Pippin.
Whatever it is called, this is a "Worth Choosing"-class apple. In my review, I conclude,
If you are into Honeycrisp for its great crunch, you should really try a few Pixies and get a superior flavor set, too.


I grow Pixie Crunch in my backyard in Walnut Creek, California. It is one of my very favorite apples. Colors up deeply (so many apples, grown in California don’t get the beautiful colors they do when grown elsewhere) , has an amazing texture , and never seems to get any codling moth damage. Visitors to my backyard always comment on what a beautiful tree it is. Can’t beat something so aesthetically, pleasing and tasty!
ReplyDelete