Sunday, September 13, 2009

Jonamac *

Bonus question first: With the name "Jonamac," what could the two parents of this apple be? 

This variety is a straightforward blend of many of Jonathan's and McIntosh's fine qualities, with an emphasis on the Mac.

Jonamac has a streaky dull red blush over a bright spring green, decorated with light lenticels. It is medium large and ribbed. My sample is slightly conical and wears a few spots of flyspeck.

Its flesh is white and medium-dense, with both crunch and juice. A good sweet-tart balance sets up a pleasing vinous effect, with berries and a little spice, and some real depth.

Despite my posting date, this is an early apple: I bought mine on September 2. This Jonathan-McIntosh cross is very successful at bringing some Mac-like flavors at the start of the season.

Update: A reader says my sample is really too early and that Jonamac peaks around the end of September.

2 comments:

  1. Adam,

    I just noticed you reviewed this variety in mid-September. This is one of my favorites, but not that early. If you can catch these last week in September or first week in October, it surely would be more memorable.
    They are at their best when they become 90% crimson red.
    Its worthy of a retry, even next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I will certainly put this on my "retaste" list, though goodness knows when I will find a peak sample.

      So many growers pick early. I guess it is a "bird-in-the-hand" situation for their point of view.

      Jonathan is one of those varieties that seems to enrich every breeding cross to which it is a party.

      Thanks again! Will update my review to reflect your information.

      Delete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.