Saturday, January 21, 2023

Email Subscription Is Back

Farmers are not idle in winter, and neither am I. We plan and we prune and we fix.

A pair of pruning shears cuts into a branch

Today I am pleased to announce the return of subscribe-by-email to Adam's Apples. Google dropped its built-in email service last summer.

If you sign up, all you will receive are email notifications whenever I publish a new post here.

You may also hear from me with additional information about the subscription service. That will happen rarely if at all.

I do not spam or sell or share my mailing list.

About the Subscription Service:

  • These days I publish about 50 apple posts a year, mostly in season.
  • There will be a no-hassles unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email.
  • The service is hosted by a company with the orchard-adjacent name of Beehiiv.
  • Subscription is by "double opt in": you have to ask for a subscription, then confirm it using a link in a confirming email.
  • Existing subscribers from "the old days" have already been signed back up.
Google unplugged its built-in email subscription machine last summer. It took me a while to find an alternative that was not too spendy and did not subject subscribers to advertising.

I hope this works out, and that my subscribers like it!

The featured image of pruning shears is available on pxhere. It is in the public domain.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam, I'm wondering if you have an answer to an issue I've been having with conventional apples. Many of the club apples I've bought lately, like Pinata, Kanzi, Opal, cosmic crisp, and others, have had a terrible bitter taste, like bitter pit but with no brown pits. Peeling barely helps and washing is ineffective, even with a good fruit wash. I've searched the internet and the only reasons the experts give are bitter pit or tannins, but this isn't like either. It's often a whole bag of perfect-looking apples. I have noticed sometimes that it seems to be associated with heavily waxed specimens, and I've never had this problem with organic apples. So you know if there's a new coating or spray being used, especially in Washington? It seems to be usually Stemilt apples, but that might be coincidental. It's made me almost afraid to buy apples, and they're a staple for me and my husband. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,

      Short answer is no, I don't know about this. (I did buy a bag of unusually "off" Jazz a few weeks ago.)

      For several years commenters on this blog reported disappointing Lady Alice in stores: bitterness or a "chemical taste" or just not ready to eat.

      These are a Rainier variety and I mention this because Rainer replied with the explanation that it was a question of timing storage, and other potentially relevant observations.

      Not saying that is the cause, just that it's another dimension of managing the harvest that affects quality. You could test the wax hypothesis by pealing and tasting one of these unfortunate samples.

      Delete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.