Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Apple Notes from All Over

A wall of open book pages, type on type

Just a few things I've read lately:

In its inconvenient location, the unfamiliar apple tree was almost cut down many a time, but it survived thanks to Maud's protection and care. On one occasion when he almost destroyed it, Bob recalled getting a severe telling-off from his mum, who "stood it up again, bandaged it up and it took off again."

  • Darren T, at Orchard Notes, takes us on a deep dive into the importance of chill hours:

Fruit trees need a certain number of hours' worth of low temperatures over the winter period in order to grow back strongly in spring. Knowing the "chill requirement" of a fruit species or cultivar helps gardeners and orchardists avoid buying and planting trees that are unsuitable for their local winters.

Darren fuels my dread about the effects of climate change.

  • For veteran fruit reporter David Karp, those crispy, chipper apple names you see in supermarkets are the point of departure for an exploration of apples as intellectual property, the decline of public breeding projects, and the corporate consolidation of apple agriculture.

    Read "What's in a Name" (LA Times 2019). Karp quotes one California farmer:

"But if the trend continues to the most Orwellian scenario, fruit production will be controlled by a few growers who’ll have the patents and the land and water," he said. "I think I’ll still have a niche, but farmers who need access to wholesale markets will be screwed."

 I hope one of these scratches your apple itch!

Public-domain image of stories provided by pxhere.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, new email subscribe service up and running! Let me know of there are problems.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to say you will get no Lady Williams from me this year. I did not want to pick them too early; Kevin Hauser says that they ripen around Valentine's Day in Southern California. They seemed to ripen one by one and drop over a period of over a month, and so I just consumed them as they ripened. They were mostly small; the biggest was about 2" in diameter, which is bigger than they have ever been for me! I think my microorchard is just not good growing conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I may only know this Lady by her offspring (eg Cripps Pink).

      Delete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.