Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Quickies

The six weeks leading up to the start of the harvest feel like they are each a month long.

Red apple with a network of brown russet
crackles

To pass the time, can you tell which apple made me ask, "what if you diluted one Cox's Orange Pippin into a peck of Red Delicious?"

Which one has "qualities that Red Delicious so often promises and fails to deliver"?

And which has "a name for a Hobbit"?

What apple has crackles of russet "like a Braille interpretation of a Jackson Pollock painting"?

What rattles with flavor?

Can you name the apple that "dates from a time of boastful apple names"?

Who "looms like a hulking gas giant in the apple firmament"?

A few things to look forward to while we wait for the return.

4 comments:

  1. Ok - I am going to try to do this without checking your links or a search engine, so I am sure I will demonstrate a high level of ignorance.

    Does Jonagold remind you of a peck of Red Delicious diluted with one Cox's Orange Pippin? I am eating one now and feel like I am picking up some faint Red Delicious notes. Not sure if that is possible based on its heritage and I will offer the disclaimer that I have never tasted a Cox's Orange Pippin!

    Does Enterprise have qualities that Red Delicious so often promises and fails to deliver? This could also be Gala or even Hawkeye.

    Any Pippin shares a name with a Hobbit, but I wonder if you might have a specific pippin in mind.

    Does Esopus Spitzenberg have crackles of russet like a Braille interpretation of a Jackson Pollock painting?

    Isn't it Cox's Orange Pippin (again) that rattles with flavor by signature behavior of its loose seeds when ripe?

    I think of Westfield Seek-no-further or Hubbartston Nonesuch as dating from a time of boastful apple names.

    Cosmic Crisp must loom like a hulking gas giant in the apple firmament.

    And now a few new questions -

    Which apple is said to impart its unique characteristics to all modern red-flesh apples?

    Which apple would be best to plant near the edge of an in-town orchard to deter would be taste testers?

    Which apples are most associated with our avian friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. I see now that I only got one properly right, but close on some of the others. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, it's not intended as any sort of fair quiz of apple knowledge! More an invitation to explore parts of my blog in the off season (and a trip down memory lane for me).

      Getting any of the answers is pretty darned good!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Adam. It was a fun test even if it was self-imposed.

      Delete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.