Sunday, April 11, 2021

Cosmos

A darker Cosmic Crisp

Tiny light lenticial dots contrast with the dark red blush of this apple.

The folks at Washington State University looked at it and saw stars: pinpoints in the night sky.

They named the apple "Cosmic Crisp."

However, the blush of the Cosmic Crisps I reviewed in 2019 was not particularly dark.

This year's crop (above) is more cosmic.

According to Rob Blakey, these apples do not reach their full color until the trees mature fully. My review samples were from young trees.

(Most of them were, two years ago, as the orchards were still ramping up productions.)

So, does tree maturity affect apples in other ways?

These comments about Autumn Crisp suggest that can happen.

However, my experience with Cosmic so far has been that this variety is consistent in taste and texture.

5 comments:

  1. Did they taste any different than the ones you tasted in 2019?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not appreciably different. So far Cosmic has been very consistent.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, Joan, this somehow got published early and backdated to Friday. Blogger is weird sometimes.

      But I'll be reverting to draft shortly, and the post will disappear. It's not you, it's me!

      Delete
  2. Hi Adam,

    I just found your blog and think its fabulous! Today, I baked a French Apple cake using Cripps Pink apples. I bought the apples a few days ago for the first time as they were selling them for only 49 cents a pound. They are good to eat raw and are a good baking apple. Thank you for keeping this blog fresh!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, @sublime. This is a seasonal blog, and it's the off season, but I try to keep up.

      Delete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.