Friday, August 6, 2010

Lodi

Two years ago, Red Apple Farm sold me some apples that I found exceptional. I thought they were Lodi apples because the grower said so.

This year, it turns out, those apples were really Yellow Transparents. So of course last Tuesday I let Red Apple sell me some more apples called Lodi, and of course I think that's really really what they are this time.

Okay, I see the pattern. But I'm getting fed. Pass the fruit.

These apples are on the large end of small, a delicate yellow-green that is mostly yellow on the sunward side, where there is sometimes a hint of pink.

The lenticels are numerous but not prominent, a slightly darker green, except that many also have a dark brown speck in the center which may be russet. (One clue that these are not Yellow Transparent apples is that those have sparser and more-obvious lenticels).

Lodi is ribbed and somewhat conical, feels firm in my hand, and has really no aroma. Its calyx is tightly clenched.

Lodi's flesh is a fine-grained dense white shot with green, pleasingly crisp. The flavor is tilted to the tart side, with lime and grapefruit notes and a whiff of gingery spice, but there is some tempering sweetness. These are nice complementary flavors and the overall effect is light and refreshing.

Lodi was introduced in 1924 by the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station at Cornell, a cross between Montgomery and Yellow Transparent.

Many sources describe Lodi as having soft or yielding flesh, so perhaps mine are on the early side. Or maybe some other factor is a play: the Lodi apples I bought from another grower on July 14, though unripe and not as good, were less firm.

Some sources suggest that the Lodi is good for cooking and applesauce.

Sorry for the mix-up, and I'll be making changes to reflect the right information over the next few days.

Update: It took a few years, but I was finally able to bring Lodi and Yellow Transparent together for a head-to-head comparison.

2 comments:

  1. I have an apple tree in my yard and am finally researching what it might be. I've narrowed it down and am thinking it could be a Late Lodi or a Yellow Transparent. What are the main differences between the two? My apples are ripe for picking right now in late July and are pale green, tart, soft flesh... These characteristics seem to support either case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, as you can see there is real potential for confusion! But I do not think these varieties are all that much alike.

      Lodi is greener, more conical, and usually larger. Yellow Transparent when ripe (or maybe past ripe) can be a very pale yellow.

      If that's not enough, your agricultural extension service may be able to provide clues based on the tree itself.

      I hope you saw my second review of Yellow T.

      Delete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.