Monday, May 30, 2022

Ever blooming

The apple blossoms on this branch will never fade or fall, because they are made of glass. ¶ (Photo:

Branch bearing apple blossoms
Made of glass.) ¶ 

The blooms are part of the Ware Collection of Blaschka Glass Models of Plants at Harvard University's Museum of Natural History.

Museum card that reads "Rosacea / Malus pumila / Apple / Originated in Centeral Asia, cultivated worldwide / Model 820, Rudolf Blaschka, 1932."

These models are both beautiful and instructive for scientific purposes. ¶ 

They include oversized models of plant organs such as ovaries (usually in cross section) and stamens. One model of spores is rendered at 250 times actual size.

The apple branch (1932) is among last of the collection. It showcases some of the most advanced techniques used by the Blaschkas, who worked from 1886 through 1936.

Meanwhile, here in southern New England the blossoms are done.

Fingers crossed for a good fruit set!

3 comments:

  1. I know it's the off-season, but I hope all is well! I hope wherever you're moving still has an abundance of unusual apples. I've been daydreaming about moving closer to Samascott just for those NY-652 -- a variety that ranks up there with Macoun for me, and one that I think is overdue for a name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes. I have come to accept that this is a seasonal blog and there is often less to say this time of year than during the harvest.

      I have not moved far so the apple pickins haven't changed. Maybe I'll find some 652s this year too!

      Delete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.