Monday, June 17, 2013

Tentation (Delbush) **

This new French apple is starting to be grown in the United States, but my samples today come from New Zealand.

Each of these Tentations is a large yellow cylinder with a gorgeous light orange blush over perhaps half of its surface.

Ribbing is minimal and in one sample only evident at the base, where the calyx is closed and unusually recessed. Small dark lenticels are especially prominent in the unblushed region.

My samples bruised easily. A lush sweet aroma suggests pears and peaches.

two stars Inside, coarse light yellow flesh is juicy and crisp. Tentation is quite sweet, and offsetting tartness strikes a nice balance.

A vegetable flavor asserts briefly and then there is a lovely orange note, sometimes with a little pear or melon, along with cane sugar and honey.

The peel provides a floral accent, and there is a pleasant lingering finish.

Lush Tentation is a winner, sweet enough to please almost anyone and bearing interesting flavors and a satisfying crunch.

Tentation is the obvious offspring of Golden Delicious. The other parent is Blushing Golden.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the varieties that will be planted in my south facing garden within a natural microclimate. The Garden has a natural slope, beautiful rich loamy soil and good air ventilation. It ticks every box for apple growing, my only concern is the gardener. Other varieties I have chosen are Discovery, Senzation, Baya marisa(Tickled Pink), and Red devil for my Man United fan. Honeycrisp and Sweet sixteen will be planted in the front north facing garden. When and If I get to grip with These varieties I will Plant English Heritage russet Varieties. Any Advice will be greatly appreciated to aid me in my quest for a bountiful harvest.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.