Skip to main content

Tasting the apples of Australia

" From now on I will no longer be a monogamous apple consumer; instead, I will be in a harem with bedfellows by the name of jazz, yello, pink lady and envy."

That was one of several lessons learned by Nicholas Jordan, a Sydney food writer, after a group tasting of 16 apple varieties from local markets and grocers. ¶ 

A group of people tasting different apples
Not Australia: A tasting table at Clarkdale Farms in Deerfield, Massachusetts in 2016.

June follows the harvest Down Under, where the palette of apples includes fruit not available here in North America.

I won't keep you from his account in The Guardian, "Australian apples taste test: I was wrong about yellow apples." Jordan has a keen palate and I especially value his description of the interplay of sweet and tart.

Jazz, a modern New Zealand apple that is one of my supermarket favorites, was number one in the ratings for this tasting. In last place: well.

Don't you wish you'd been part of this tasting? Reading about it is the next best thing.

Other link: Nicholas Jordan at The Guardian.

Comments