There are some great farmers markets near me, and in season they are the source of most of the fruit I eat. You never know what new apples, or old favorites, might show up there.
|
|
All of the apples for sale, by date, from July to the end of the
outdoor markets in November of 2024. It's from
this spreadsheet.
|
For the past few years I've reported regularly (with a few gaps) about all of them. It is kind of thrilling to track the harvest as it unfolds, and to feel through that the solemn turning of the year from summer to winter.
This year summer travel has taken me away from town for weeks at a time.
That has been unexpectedly liberating. Those weekly reports were starting to feel like a creative rut I never signed up for. This is Adam's Apples, not Adam's Farmers Markets.
Flashback
Of course every autumn is different, but I commend to you this summary of the 2024 harvest, as expressed at farmer's markets here.
I visited nearly every one, and took careful notes.
You can also see the related apple data graphic in all its annotated glory. (Apologies to phone readers: That's at least 75 mm, if not IMAX.)
I'll still write about these markets from time to time, but will not be punching that particular clock this year.
My informal report is that last Wednesday I visited the market in Arlington, Massachusetts, about two miles from me. There were Gala, Gingergold, Jersey Mac, and Zestar.
|
| Some apples for sale in Arlington on September 2. |


Thank you for your incredible depth of knowledge and insight that you share here! I discovered your blog last year and have been reading through the archives with glee. I also look forward joyfully to the start of apples at farmers markets and though my time is somewhat limited by family these days I take every opportunity to try out a new (to me) farmers market in search of something exciting. My closest best market is Foppema’s Farm in Whittinsville which has a wonderful array of heirloom apples.
ReplyDeleteFoppema is a wonder! A bit out of my usual ambit, but I know them from the great farmers market in Copley Square (Boston).
DeleteJust looking at your pictures makes my mouth water. My husband and I live in Denver CO which an apple desert. When we were visiting family in MA and CT two years ago we were able to visit Cider Farms and it blew us away. I was able to fit some apples in my suitcase and enjoyed them for a few weeks after we returned home. When my in-laws were still alive we visited them in South Deerfield, MA and went to Shelburne Falls Market, another wonderful place!
ReplyDeleteThere might be more apples near you then you know. Try checking out the Boulder Apple Tree Project! https://appletreeproject.org
DeleteMy husband and I live in Denver CO which is an apple desert. Two years ago we were visiting family in MA and CT and while there we made it to Cider Farms. We were blown away by the number of apple varieties they grow. I was able to tuck some in my suitcase and we enjoyed them for a few weeks after we returned home. My in-laws lived in South Deerfield, MA and when visiting them we would stop by Shelburne Falls Market--another wonderful place. How I envy your access to such fine apples.
ReplyDeleteSomething we learned this season is that Zestar makes absolutely heavenly dried apples - something I'll certainly be doing again next season. Here in eastern ND, the Williams Pride and Prairie Magic (a variety from SK) harvest just wrapped up; Zestar and Goodland (from MB) nearing the end of harvest; RedFree is at its peak (and is unusually good this year); and KinderCrisp (I refuse to use the second K) is just starting to enter production. Of these, my favorite is Williams Pride. My children, who prioritize sugar content above everything else, prefer KinderCrisp, as would expected. The really good apples of course come later in the season, but the early ones are so far superior to the grocery store fare that it doesn't matter.
ReplyDeleteZestar is very flavorful, it makes sense they'd be good dried! I miss Williams Pride, increasingly hard to find around here.
Delete