Skip to main content

Goof or jape?

A misshapen and tapered apple, red over yellow, balances on its narrow base

Stillman's Farm, my source for Mollie's Delicious, pulled a little rebrand last week. ¶ 

I guess the crop was a little bent this year. The apples, normally just round or tapered, had this little atrophied base (or crown if you prefer). ¶ 

And they were sold as "Molly Sheep Nose."

Yellow plastic crates containg apples, one with a  hand lettered tag that reads Molly Sheep Nose.

I'm a little sensitive about apple names, since they are how I (a) keep track and (b) know what I am buying. (The recent "Macintosh" debacle has not made me more forgiving about that either.)

Mollie's Delicious, most years

There are some apples known as "sheepnose," but the shape is genuinely elongated and snoutlike. These Mollies look a little like that, I suppose, but not really like the nose of a sheep.

Sheepnose apples, aka Black Gilliflower

How did that end up on the hand-lettered label for these apples? My guess: Someone at Stillman knows of the actual sheep-nose varieties (which Mollie is not).

Either they decided it would be fun to creatively mislabel these, or else they called Mollie that within earshot of the the label-writer, who took it literally.

Stillman's sells fruit and produce at the farmers market in Lexington, Massachusetts, on Tuesdays.

More

Comments