WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE
|
|
| Mislabeled apples at Arlington's farmers market on September 9. |
Quite a radical design departure today for Apple Computer (which spells its desktops "Macintosh"). Where's the USB port?
If this had been only a hand-lettered sign....
I should not complain, I guess, the point is McIntosh (bonus: spelled right!) is here. Be glad! But it shakes one's faith in farmers.
Do you pronounce the variety Məck-intosh or Mack-intosh. I always assumed it should be the former because of the spelling, but hear people say the latter. I'm in the UK so we never see this cv in the shops.
ReplyDeleteThat schwa sound would be very odd to my American ears! Are Scottish "Mc" names pronounced that way?
DeleteI think the point is to distinguish between Mc and Mac, so for instance McDonald’s is not pronounced with a “mack” sound the way MacDuff is. But I agree that in North America the “mack” is very prominent in the way the apple’s name is pronounced. In fact a lot of people just call them Macks.
DeleteExactly - so how do Americans pronounce the apple McIntosh, Mc-Intosh or like Apple Mackin-tosh. Oh blimey, this is a minefield!
DeleteWell it's Mac around here, perhaps accounting for the confusion. I wonder how John McIntosh, the Canadian farmer who discovered this apple, pronounced his name.200 years ago.
DeleteIt's just iPomology.😉
ReplyDeleteiGuessso
Delete