Saturday, April 28, 2018

Calm before the bloom

Bare apple trees
Not a bud has burst earlier today at Huchins Farm in Concord, Massachusetts.

Usually by late April, many if not most of the apple trees here have blossomed.

This year, when an especially cold winter seemed to bleed into spring, the blooms are still buds. Even the crabapple in my yard is silent.

Next week temperatures in the 80s are forecast. I am sure that will force many things into flower.

I just hope the delayed springtime is not too quick—that the bees have enough time to do their work, and bring us apples in the summer and fall.

Click any photo for a closer look.

Bare apple trees

1 comment:

  1. First blossom opened for me in Somerville yesterday, on a graft of Chestnut. Warmer than Concord so probably ahead in schedule a bit. Sweet Sixteen is in last place, buds barely breaking open just now. Other varieties in between.

    Should you ever want to try grafting something on that crab apple tree, let me know :).

    I'd be happy to come over and give you a short lesson on grafting if you have not taken one already from someone more experienced than I.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.